Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pro/Con lists

Taking a leaf out of Peter's book (though I have much shorter lists):

Things I love about Oxford
1) Studying in buildings older than the United States
2) Plenty of time spent consulting with professors
3) Student clubs/societies for just about everything imaginable
4) Practically no need to buy textbooks (college libraries stock enough copies for everyone)
5) Everything important is within a 20-minute walk.

Not-so-great things about Oxford
1) A lot of the sinks have separate taps for hot and cold water, so I tend to either scald or freeze my hands whenever I wash them.
2) There's a general feeling of disorganization and slow communication (not that I have a perfect right to judge here...)
3) Cost of living - in general, if something costs $x in Bloomington, then it costs £x here, and the exchange rate is not in our favor.
4) British keyboards have a different layout (not different enough to be crippling, but just different enough to be annoying).
5) Long northern nights (sunset is now just about 4:00 PM)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arcadia is offering me opportunities to see Stonehenge and the Royal Theater (Swan Lake).

Have you been to these, or any other interesting places around UK?

-Sibo

12/01/2006 8:15 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I haven't seen the Royal Theater, so I can't say anything about it. Stonehenge is worth seeing (the one drawback is that they keep people from getting close, since too many tourists have taken chips off).

Bath is also worth a visit, and Stratford-upon-Avon is reasonably close to Oxford (but very, very touristy).

12/01/2006 3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the lack of mixer taps is getting to you too...

12/03/2006 5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home